Ozone Catalyst V1 Kitesurf Kite
the art of progress, put the fun back into your kitesurfing
The Ozone Catalyst V1 is the perfect kite for new riders and intermediates wanting to progress their skills. Easy to fly, stable and predictable you can concentrate on your board riding, not the flying or relaunch.
The all new Ozone Catalyst V1 is a totally new redesign from the old Catalyst kitesurfing kite.
We know many companies are saying that Ozone have only made a few tweaks from the previous kite, but the only similarities we found were the three struts, material and build quality!
The older Catalyst has always been one of our favourite kites in store, especially over the last couple of seasons. So we were a bit concerned when we heard that the old design was being thrown aside and redesigned again from the ground up. But Ozone did good, and the V1 Catalyst delivers a different but amazing experience.
It has much more delta'ish style look with swept wingtips. A grunty feel, but still loads of depower in the bar throw.
The Ozone Catalyst V1 is at home on twin tips, surfboards and even hydrofoils! It has been badged by Ozone as a kitesurf kite for beginners. BUT don't write it off it you are an intermediate rider as this kite still has some lift and loads of performance when you need it. This is a super easy kite to fly and that makes riding fun.
So if you want a solid and smooth kitesurfing kite to work on your freestyle or other disciplines, then this is ideal. You don't have to think about flying the kite as much. It water relaunches easily as it just doesn't seem to want to stay on the water once down. Tie all this in to all the other standard Ozone kite features like the Contact Bar with the single flag out line safety, the D2 canopy fabric and Ozone's legendary quality and this kite is an amazing package.
Our review at ATBShop of the Ozone Catalyst V1 is very favourable. Although it seems at home on the water, it is also a pretty damn good landboarding kite. With loads of grunt and pop for freeriding and freestyle.
On the water, the extra grunt allows a higher pop from stored energy and we found that the kite has really good float, so won't drop you like a stone if the redirect wasn't at the perfect time.
We love this kite for stomping upwind and found the super easy relaunch (even in light winds) makes recovering from those messed up landing effortless.
So although the Ozone Catalyst V1 won't set the super experienced riders blood pumping as quickly as the Edge or the C4, it does have a great place in the Ozone line-up for many riders. Especially recreational riders that want to enjoy their ride and progress their riding without fighting the kite.
If you want to read Ozone's full brochure check this link or view the video below which shows the fun side of the kite!
So what sizes kitesurf kites should I get in my Quiver? The Catalyst V1 comes in 4m, 6m, 8m, 10m, 12m and 14m. The 4m and 6m are primarily for light riders, teaching use or for nuking high winds.
The most popular three kitesurf quiver for an average rider will be the 8m, 10m and 12m.
If you are looking for a two kite quiver then the 8m and 12m will be the best for total wind range although the 10m is sweet in the middle. Heavier riders should move up a kite size and use the 10m and 14m quiver for great wind range. But add the 8m if they like high wind flying!
Ozone give the following guide for wind ranges but they always vary a bit with rider weight, board size and rider experience on the water:
Ozone Catalyst V1 Features:
- Fun, easy and intuitive to fly
- Large wind range with progressive de-power
- Simple and quick re-launch
- The kite of choice for entry level to intermediate riders and fast progression to take your riding to the next level
- Front Line Flag Out – stops all power in the kite
- Unique Leading Edge arc and sweep
- 4-line pulley-less system (no pulleys, no problems)
- Comparable feeling throughout the size range
- One-Pump system for quick and easy setup with High volume inflate/deflate valve
- Trimming options for customised turn speed and bar pressure
- Colour coded and numbered fool proof line connectors
Ozone Catalyst V1 Kite and bar Specification:
- Exceptional hand checked Ozone factory construction using the highest quality materials wind range and bar size
- Teijin TechnoForce D2 canopy material
- Teijin Dacron for the Leading Edge & Struts
- Internal reinforcements for improved durability with double layer Dacron inside the LE closing seam
- Double stitched bonded seams
- Dacron reinforced tip area for load distribution
- Reinforced leading edge and struts in high stress areas
- Reinforced trailing edge
- Light weight & low profile aerodynamic scuff pads
- Unique bladder construction with double layer section in wear areas
- Anti line snag tip deflectors
- Ozone warranty and back-up service guaranteed
- Push Away Bar Quick Release
- Two Release Modes
- Anti-twist Flag Out Line and Spinning Handle
- Auto Positioning Chicken Loop
- Soft Bar Ends with Hide-away Elastic Line Retainers
- PU Covered De-Power Line
- Clamcleat Trimmer
- Bungee Trim Line & Magnetic Handle
- 500kg/300kg Flying Lines
- Bars Come in 45cm (4m/6m), 50cm (8m/10m/12m) and 55cm (14m) Sizes